Memories of UofP\PCoC\SCCC

Many of our Alumni have special memories of our chiropractic college experience. If you have an interesting story, please email it to Dr. Ken Martin - and we will add it here.

Click on a name to reminince and share the memory

Dr. Shimson Tencer
Dr. Mark Collins
Dr. Kenneth Martin
Dr. Sandra Talt

Dr. Tencer Remembers: Pico Rivera Campus

As an alumni, it is to painful to bring up the wars between the profession, and the high price we paid for competing with some giants in the same market. Pasadena was a commuter college. Hardly anyone actually lived in the city where the school was located. They mostly commuted to the school every day from L.A. county, Orange county, Ventura county, the Valleys, etc. The proximity to the 2 other Southern California colleges (Cleveland and LACC) was about 15 minutes. In addition to this, there were 2 more schools in the same market of the potential new student pool of California. (Palmer West and Life West); The competition was fierce, and an easy choice was to gang up on the small school through constant CCE harassment.

My personal experience was from the Pico Rivera campus. I was one of those students who actually lived in Pico Rivera. The students in the trimesters above me, had just relocated very shockingly. They showed up to the campus in Pasadena to find a sign with the new address in Pico Rivera. I think I had heard that the city of Pasadena, who rented out the old school to Dr. Garrow, wanted their campus back, due to a shortage of space. That campus in Pasadena was a classic school design. It was such a great looking school, that several movies were made during classes of the college. The TV show The Twilight Zone (new series, not the Rod Serling original) shot an episode on the campus. An alumni described it to me as: "the campus was so large, that we only used one wing of the building. They made the movie in another wing of the school. They also brought props for the outside shots of the exterior front of the school."

Some of our class instructors, in basic sciences and radiology commuted from school to school, teaching at Cleveland, LACC, and PCOC. I had, on occasion visited them at the other campuses as a representative of the student ICA, and President of the Philosophy Club. I had on several occasions visited the other campuses to meet with my counterparts, plan seminars for all of us, and our members. On other occasions I went to the Cleveland and LACC libraries for study and research.

Just before/after the school turned SCASA, a group from Cleveland came to take over the school. (or it seemed like it) We had their dean, several instructors, and several students. The dean and the administration talked big, had many dreams, and many believers in their dreams. This chapter didn't last long. I remember a patrol car coming to the campus, arresting the new president in handcuffs, and taking him away. During his short time, I felt like he went all out in certain areas. He hired fantastic instructors for our practice management courses, and our jurisprudence class. A lawyer, chiropractor who only practiced law, and represented many chiropractors, taught the jurisprudence class. He taught us the laws, risk management, etc.. he gave pop quizzes. He was always very serious. His personality didn't allow him friends. I was fascinated by his knowledge for the law. He taught in the schools largest room. He always demanded of us to keep the entrance clear of chairs and people. One day we had a large earthquake, during his class. I never saw such a big person fly so fast out the door. This president had class (he spent the money to get it) He invited me to the graduation ceremony of the class above mine. They had a brunch, that was so fantastic, that I could not wait for the same at my graduation. He had bagels and lox, and cream  cheese, and a large table of other delights. This was the last class to get the Pasadena diploma. Or the first to get the Southern Cal. one.

I had several instructors I got along with. One was Reverend / Professor / Dr. Paul Shultz. He was the Public Hygiene instructor. I cannot remember what other courses he taught. What a personality he was. He would arrive in a Cadillac Eldorado convertible. He used a dish pan with water for his air conditioner. He was not a tidy man. He had a goatee for a beard. Ray ban style glasses. He always came with a stack of handouts of copies from books. It was a pleasure to come to his class. I became friendly with him and visited his home several times. Many of the instructors needed help moving, or arranging their property. Dr. Shultz's property consisted of a house with several children, a small sized church with 10 rows of chairs, a large scale printing press. It appeared very busy with several employees. I saw that he printed funeral notices as a large part of his business. The school diplomas also came from his press. He traveled the world, studied in different parts of the world, was educated at LACC, or had a large connection with them. His home was in Glendale, not to far from the original LACC campus.He introduced me to several old time Chiropractor / Naturopaths. He was a truly warm hearted man. I lost track of him after my graduation, but knew that for several years he suffered with heart problems. He passed away in 1995 and was eulogized in Dynamic Chiropractic (Back to top of page)

Dr. Collins Remembers: The "Painting" and Dr. Garrow

On the web page it states "the college was originally funded by the sale of a nude painting". The story behind that painting is as follows (told to me by Art Garrow). The painting was a purchased from an artist that he knew for an undisclosed amount of money (I think he told me about $5,000.00, but not sure). Art, needing money to start the college, had it appraised by an appraiser in the amount of $50,000.00. In turn, Art was able to apply for a loan from the bank in that amount. The art work itself eventually became property of the college (It was hanging on the wall). What happened to the painting when the college folded I do not know. The artwork itself was that of surrealism but Dr. Garrow didn't want to disclose its true nature.

I was active with the college after it moved to Pico Rivera, as it was close to me and my practice in up-town Whittier. I served as off-campus clinic director and was a member of the board of trustees for a short time (until the State tried collecting back taxes for the college from me). At one point I threw a BBQ for the college at my own out of pocket expense to raise money, but by then the school was slowly going downhill and not many people showed up. Not even Art.

Speaking of Art, I was close to him and started visiting him when he would spend time in Palm Springs. This started in 1978 until he moved to Mexico in 1996. In 1989, I moved to the desert to run a practice for Randy Webster and ended up practicing with Art for a short time. There was quite a bit of talk from the students at the college I heard over the years about his life style and his business practices. As far as him using the schools money for his personal affairs, it was not true. He was on a salary and sometimes didn't draw one. The money that everyone saw was someone else's. Anyway, he was one of the finest people I've ever meet. I knew him better than any other student and miss him dearly. (Back to top of page)

Dr. Martin Remembers: The Beginning of the school

I was one of the original students, a transfer from Cleveland. I came to the college, like others at the urging of Dr. Garrow, Dr. Howard Malby (two of our CCC instructors who were at Uof P), Rory Shulman and John Geary, two students from Cleveland who happened to be good friends. (John was the one who got me involved in chiropractic college.) The school was the entire upstairs of the building above Dr. Garrow's office, and was large, compared to the space we had been used to at Cleveland. The instructors were helpful and were more than "readers" of the text. They actually explained everything to you and why it worked the way it did.

Since we were the first, we were called on to be "builders" of the school, often in the literal sense. We helped to build the library out of Dr. Garrow's office when the CCE required a bigger library, and we helped rebuild the dissection lab into a multi-purpose area. It was a great space for dissection, but the smell for other classes held in the same area was often very intense. My pet peeve was that we were required to wear "whites" whenever we were in the clinic. This meant white shoes, white pants, white shirt, and a white lab coat. The only color we were allowed was our ties if we wore one. This is probably why I still wear very colorful ties today.

The type of educational process Dr. Garrow brought to us is still with me today. He instilled that learning never stops, and made us do "cumulative" exams every two or three semesters, comprised of everything we had learned to date. This was great when it came to the board exams, because we were used to putting it all together for the "cumes", and it made the state board pretty simple. I think that is why our graduates had such a high passing percentage of the boards. Dr. Garrow taught us that we were responsible to our profession and it was our job to assure that it kept going. This meant joining the state chiropractic association, being involved with future students, and teaching the public about what we do. He told us it is just as much a part of our duty as adjusting our patients!

Dr. Garrow and I were not close buddies, but as one of the original students, we spent a lot of time together with "the group" of originals. We would often grab lunch at Dora's (a greasy spoon on the corner of Oak Knoll and Green) or across the street at the bar after school. He wanted very badly to open a school of podiatry and of dentistry under the University of Pasadena, but it was never to be. (Back to top of page)

Dr. Talt Remembers: A misguided student and a small class

A Misguided Student:
"My class had been in school about 3 weeks, at the old Green Street address in Pasadena. It was the end of the day on a hot September afternoon, in that building with no air conditioning. The teacher was lecturing, when a student raised her hand and said "What does any of this have to do with feet?" A very short discussion revealed that she thought she was in chiropody school. She was excused to the President's office, and was never seen again."

Small Class
My class was the unfortunate class who was told part way thru school that we would not be able to get California licenses unless the school became accredited before we graduated. At that point, all but 4 people in my class transferred to Cleveland. I graduated in a class of 4! Can you believe that? I will check with my mom to see if she has the (short) graduation list. End of the story: I was going to practice in Alaska, so I stayed. The way I read the Alaska statute, I didn't need to graduate from an accredited college. But it turned out I might have been wrong. Solution: I finished my classes on Friday, February 13, 1981. But I didn't accept my diploma until August of that year, after the school acheived "Recognized Candidate Status" for accredidation. Thus, I graduated from an accredited school. (Back to top of page)